Welcome back from your annual two weeks of too much food, drink and fun.
The summer vacation is great for relaxation, but it might take a toll on your body. No worries, getting back to shape is not really that hard, and you can ease back into it at your own pace.
Your swimming pool is one of the best fitness tools there is. Here are some of the ways aquatic workouts help you stay fit:
- They provide resistance. Water is 800 times denser than air, so each kick, push, and pull is like a mini resistance workout for your entire body.
- Water neutralises gravity, making workouts easier on joints and reducing the chances for an injury.
- Pool exercises are great fat-burners. You can burn a higher level of calories in a shorter time in the pool.
- Working out in the water doesn’t feel much like work. Enjoying your workout is the best way to make sure you’ll stick with it.
Here are some beginner swimming pool exercises you can do:
- Simple swimming. Swimming leisurely laps in the pool is surprisingly effective for burning fat and toning muscles. An easy swim burns around 500 calories an hour, while a vigorous effort can torch almost 700.
- Sprinting. Do this while staying in place, right in the shallow end. Start by kicking your knees up as high as you can up towards your chest. As this is a sprint, move your legs as fast as you can.
- Get your arms pumping with it. If you want to create more resistance, keep your arms under water.
- Push up on the wall. Start down in the water, with your hands secure on the wall. Use the side of the pool to help you get initiated all the way up. Extend your arms all the way, and then slowly lower yourself back down.
Additional pool exercises
Do you feel your heart pumping after doing the above exercises? Then go for some additional inspiration by watching the video in full!